[PyGreSQL] Binding decimal.Decimal

raf raf at raf.org
Tue Sep 16 19:49:21 EDT 2008

Christoph Zwerschke wrote:

> D'Arcy J.M. Cain schrieb:
>  > I say let's go ahead and make the default Decimal.  We can make it a
>  > major bump if we want to draw attention to the change.  I suspect that
>  > few people will be affected anyway.
>
> Ok, PyGresSQL uses Python Decimal for PostgreSQL numeric types now.

yay! thanks. that's great.

the website still says 3.8.1 (2 years ago) is the latest version.
does that get updated or do we need to use cvs?
ah, and the csv page is broken.

> Not sure whether we should try to use Python lists for PostgreSQL
> arrays. It may be a bit difficult to implement it right (PostgreSQL
> arrays can be multi-dimensional and hold different types, and we
> probably don't want to use "eval" for security reasons).
>
> -- Christoph

that's not much of an argument. being a bit difficult is a
perfect reason to implement it properly it once and for all
in the database module rather than requiring the module's
clients to implement it themselves.

and using eval wouldn't work anyway. it's postgres-specific
sql array notation, not python. they're not the same thing.
it has to be parsed and it's much faster to parse it in c
than python (like my lame half-implementation tht only
supports 1 dimension because that's all i need right now).

by the way, a single sql array can't contain elements of
different types. all elements must be of the same time.
it sounds like you were saying they could but i might have
misinterpreted.

cheers,
raf