[PyGreSQL] Help on psycopg installation

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at cutter.rexx.com
Tue Sep 21 16:27:45 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 06:54:18PM +1000, Ms Soo Chong wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have trouble installing psycopg, kept getting errors on "missing PostgreSQL headers".
> Can someone please help me? Can someone please tell me specifically what one needs to
> copy to get the headers all together. I'm using a Redhat 8 Linux installation
> and a Fedora Core 2 installation.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

How did you install PostgreSQL?

I installed it from source.  I found that in order to make the
header files available, I had to do the following (as root) in my
PostgreSQL source directory:

    make install-all-headers

There is a *little* more help here:

  http://zope.org/Members/dkuhlman/ZopeHowToNotes/#using-a-database-adapter-for-postgresql

If you did *not* install from source, then it might be that you
have to install an additional package in order to get the headers.
On a Debian Linux system, the package that contains the headers is
likely to have "-dev" in its name, for example, "postgresql-dev".
I don't know what the equivalent might be for you on an RPM based
distribution.

It might be that you can down-load the source, then do the
"make install-all-headers" without actually compiling the source
("make").  I've never tried that.

Whatever you do, make sure that you use the same version of
PostgreSQL for both binaries and headers.

Dave

[snip]

--
Dave Kuhlman