[PyGreSQL] returning XML data

Tony Lownds tony at printra.net
Tue Apr 18 11:48:14 EDT 2000

At 1:01 PM -0400 4/18/00, Christopher Petrilli wrote:
>on 4/18/00 10:04 AM, Stephan Richter at srichter at cbu.edu wrote:
>

>>>  I'm wondering if it would be useful to add a method to PygreSQL to return
>>>  query results as XML data.
>>
>>  This way you can describe types easily too. Sounds interesting.
>
>This almost smells like a totally separate interface, rather than a simple
>modification to the current one.  Perhaps for the interim someone (i.e. not
>me) could write up a:
>
>pgdb.xmlify(connection.query(foo))
>
>Or something vaguely like this. This would also make sure that we fully
>fleshed out the introspection of result sets.  I would further propose that
>any DTD information be shared with the DB-SIG as a whole.  mxODBC for
>example has pretty good introspection last time I looked, as does DCOracle I
>hope (since I'm its maintainer).

The DB-API standardizes the introspection that is available on
queries, and that's the main thing I worked on in my patch; the
introspection is not complete to the spec but its enough to make the
XML that Jerome wrote. I would like the DB-API to encompass
introspecting schemas and tables and columns and views and so on; is
this the kind of introspection that DCOracle has?

-Tony